Ready for Christmas but not the holiday fluff? I’m right there with ya mama.
Pie, hot toddies, stuffing, cookies, fudge, fruit cake… ok maybe not fruit cake (has anyone ACTUALLY tasted fruit cake??) The list goes on but you get the idea…holiday treats galore. Starting in October with Halloween candy, thru Thanksgiving turkey, all the way to Christmas with an end to the year with that champagne toast at midnight. That’s 3 whole months of mega temptations & also a time when it’s easy to let your health or fitness goals slip.
We’ve all been there. It’s so easy to think we will just make another New Years resolution come January. It’s no wonder why the gyms are so crowded at the start of the year. But I want to tell you that’s the HARDER way to go about it, I promise. It’s so much easier to be aware & proactive about your health than it is to reverse the damage. Don’t get me wrong I’m NOT saying you can’t enjoy yourself during the holidays. I’ll be the first to tell you I enjoy Bailey’s, white Russians, and baking & eating plenty of goodies during these times. But there are some things you can do to beat the holiday fluff & I’ll tell you what they are!!
- Stay Active! The weather outside is frightful so it’s easy to just sit inside & cozy up. I don’t know about you but I get lazy & a little depressed with too many days inside & inactive. There are SO many things you can do at home & if you need some ideas here are plenty! If you want to take it 1 step further & build a home gym here is a great resource. Whether you belong to a gym or not the point is to get up & get moving at least 20-30 mins each day. Try taking a walk, lifting weights, taking a new class, climbing the stairs, doing a new video, walk the dog, play chase with your kids…just get moving!
- Drink Up...water that is! With holiday parties galore it’s easy to booze it up. It’s easy to indulge but drinking your calories is a sure fire way to put on the fluff…I’m talking to you also egg nog & soda! If you have an event where you know drinks will be flowing, save those drinks for just that…at special occasions. The rest of the time make sure you are drinking plenty of water all day long, your body is made up of 60% water & needs to be replenished. Your hair, skin & waistline will thank you for it to. Water is life.
- Live by the 80/20 rule. Just like the alcohol the goodies are galore during holidays. Save the tasty treats for parties, get togethers, a snack here, a dinner there. If you are making healthy choices in your nutrition 80% of the time then those occasions won’t expand your waistline. It’s all about balance during the holidays to keep the fluff at bay. I’ve gathered all sorts of healthy recipes for you here. First thing’s first, you need to learn how to grocery shop like a fitness pro!
- Catch plenty of zzzz’s. Did you know that not getting enough sleep affects your health & weight loss? Try to get at least 6-8 hrs a night. And if you are a parent with a little one reading this… may the force be with you. Do the best you can mama.
- Travel Prep. Chances are you might be traveling a little or even a lot this month. If you are staying at a hotel, try booking one with a gym & a mini fridge. Resistance bands/loops make perfect travel companions as they pack easily & you can do plenty of exercises with them either in a hotel room or at a relatives house. Bring your own snacks. You don’t always have the best choices on a plane, at Grandma’s house, or on the go. Things like nuts, protein bars or even protein powder, rice cakes, fruit are easy things to grab & go.
- Join an accountability group! Getting a jump start on your fitness & beating the holiday fluff are exactly why I created Holiday Hustle! If you haven’t joined, it’s not too late! If you are reading this chances are this group is for you! This is a FREE private Facebook group of women for encouragement, fun, tips & ideas. I post workouts for the members & do a Q&A Live for any questions that anyone might have that I can help with. As a BONUS my members are getting my JUMPSTART NUTRITION GUIDE half off. If you’ve ever been curious what it’s like to work with me online or want to know what I do to live a fit & healthy lifestyle, now is your chance to get access to me & my amazing group of women thru December. Join HERE.
New year, new you? It all starts with healthy habits. Get your FREE guide to Healthy Habits for Weight Loss HERE!
Subscribe to our mailing list